Our History & Membership
Cloverbelt Credit Union was originally organized by local farmers who found it difficult to obtain financial support elsewhere. Needing an outlet through which they could borrow money as well as a savings headquarters, the credit union was born. CCU’s Articles of Incorporation were signed on October 23, 1935 and we officially opened for business on January 2, 1936. By the end of the year, assets totaled just $454.00 and the credit union had only 38 members.
Things have changed dramatically in the years since CCU first opened for business. Up until 1939, CCU served primarily farmers. But in that year, membership grew with the Cloverbelt Cooperative’s entrance into the fuel oil business, which meant it’s city customers could join too.
Today, membership is open to anyone who lives or works in Marathon, Lincoln, Wood, Portage, Clark, Langlade, Shawano and Taylor counties and membership has grown to over 17,000 people.
With a remarkable history behind us, exciting opportunities ahead of us and the continued support and trust of our many valued members, CCU can look to the future with strength and confidence!